Maritime Labor Law Attorneys for Collision Liability & Damage Claims
The attorneys at ZELLER & SEYFERT are here to help shipowners find solutions in case of maritime accidents. From our Berlin office along the Havel on Marina Lanke, we are easily accessible to inland vessel and yacht owners in the area. With our global network, we are able to work with maritime lawyers throughout Germany to expedite legal assistance.
We specialize in providing counsel and courtroom representation for maritime and inland waterway collision claims and liability cases. Our legal services in this area include:
- Decoding the legal frameworks related to collisions
- Advising on salvaging for foundered (sunken/submerged) vessels
- Legal representation for maritime casualty investigations with the BSU (Bundesstelle für Seeunfalluntersuchung) and other regional authorities
- Making sure claimants receive their full marine insurance claim
- Conversely, representing insurance policyholders when it comes to liability claims and in maritime fraud cases
- Negotiation or litigation on behalf of shipowners and logistics companies in general average and collision liability claims
Collisions on German Inland Waterways
For safe manning within Germany’s domestic waters, such as rivers, canals, and lakes, careful attention to the special legal regulations is a must for any boating/yacht enthusiast. These include the Inland Waterways Ordinance (Binnenschifffahrtsstraßen-Ordnung, BinSchStrO) and the Collision Prevention Regulations (Kollisionsverhütungsregeln, KVR), which is based on the 1972 International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (COLREGs).
But despite our best efforts, as well as increasing traffic on our waterways, collisions are at times inevitable. Shipping accidents carry several dire consequences, which may include personnel injuries, vessel damage, loss of cargo, environmental and infrastructural damage, and of course severe financial burdens. Therefore it is crucial to have a legal expert to “batten down the hatches” (prepare in case of trouble).
If you have incurred damage from a collision within Germany’s inland waterways, our legal team is prepared to answer any questions or litigate on your behalf.